We always have pancakes for breakfast on Saturday. It’s only right. After a hectic week of Lagos; heat, traffic et al., there’s nothing better than a lazy Saturday morning. Sleeping in, watching TV and feasting on oatmeal, fruit and pancakes (I make two kinds: the thick American pancakes, and the thin crepe-like European pancakes. Recipes for both coming up in a bit).
This morning, though, we were out of honey. 😕
Presenting the lazy gal’s salted caramel syrup. Simple. Delicious.
100g unsalted butter (cut into small cubes)
1/2 cup cream (I used whipping cream)
1/2 cup Lyle’s Golden Syrup
- Place all ingredients in a saucepan and put on medium heat.
- Stir till the butter melts and the mixture is smooth.
- Increase the heat and leave to boil for 5 minutes. (Watch it, though. So it doesn’t boil over the sides of the saucepan.)
- Turn off the heat and leave it to cool and thicken. Add two pinches of salt and stir. (Add more if you like, keep tasting).
- Serve with pancakes. Or vanilla ice-cream. Or cookies…
Warning: this syrup is addictive. Not suitable for #fitfam followers. Lol. Try it. Let me know. 😉