So today, Nigerians are outraged over the purchase of two armoured vehicles for Stella Oduah’s safety. Said vehicles cost over 250 million naira (About 1.6 million dollars). See Sahara’s report here.
I understand the outrage, and I would share it if I knew:
- What is the annual budget of the “cash-strapped” Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority?
- How do we know they’re cash-strapped?
- Was this purchase included in the budget for 2013?
- Was the budget approved by the Senate?
- Did the Senate know she was going to buy the cars with the NCAA’s budget?
- Knowing this, did they approve?
- If they neither knew nor approved of the cars’ purchase, what was this money earmarked for originally? Has that activity been done? Is it pending?
- Money cannot buy air safety, can it? Someone please explain to me how this money increases the risk of me boarding a plane that will crash?
I’m sincerely curious about these things. This is not an attempt to ridicule anyone. I just need to know why I should care. So I can join in the outrage. Please, I really would like answers.